Jan 16, 2012

Internet strike to fight SOPA & PIPA

Hi folks!  I wanted to interrupt my usual pagan-flavored posts to bring you a PSA.

On Wednesday, January 18, I will be joining many other websites in an internet strike by blacking out my blog for 12 hours (8 AM to 8 PM EST) to protest the SOPA and PIPA bills.  These bills would essentially allow rampant censorship of websites in the U.S., in the name of preventing piracy.

Boing Boing has an excellent post explaining why this is a huge, huge infringement of our 1st amendment rights.  Go.  Read.  Be outraged, and then go do something about it.  SopaStrike.com has many ideas for taking action.

As a long-time blogger and internet user, I value the freedom of speech and information sharing that the internet allows.  I refuse to stand by silently and allow Congress to take that away just so that a few entertainment mega-corporations can make as much money as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...