Aug 23, 2011

I feel the earth move under my feet

So, yes, you may have heard that the east coast experienced a moderate earthquake this afternoon. For those who didn't feel it, or don't follow the news (believe me, I don't blame you. It's just so damn depressing when it isn't making something out of nothing*), or didn't see news about it blow up Facebook - it was 5.8 on the Richter Scale. The epicenter was in central-ish Virginia. Apparently it was felt as far north as Canada and as far south as the Carolinas.

Apparently there was also a 5.3 earthquake in Colorado. I guess that makes today "Earthquake Day?"

I was in the basement talking to my boyfriend when I heard and felt a deep rumble throughout the house. At first I thought it was a very large truck passing by and wondered aloud something to the effect of "What the hell??" Then my boyfriend pulled me into the nearest doorway and said very calmly, "It's an earthquake, dear." I don't know how he was so calm. The whole house was shaking rather violently, even the foundation!

I'm very glad I was home sick, rather than at work - which is on the 8th floor of my office building. I hear that it was way scarier for them.

Anyway, all is well with me and my household, dear readers. No injuries, and a quick inventory of the house revealed no damage to anything in the house (not even a fallen frame off the walls). Just shaken nerves.

*"Breaking news - water could kill you!!!!! The full story at 11."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...