Last year I made a 30 before 31 list - a list of 30 reasonably-sized goals or projects I wanted to complete before I turned 31. My 31st birthday is almost upon me, so I thought it would be good to look at how I did with completing the goals I set for myself.
Completed // In Progress // Not Completed
- Make my blog more awesome and increase readership - I moved to a better blogging platform, started a weekly feature to share pagan music, and I've now found a focus for my blog that most inspires me. I participated in Bloggiesta in March & September, which was super helpful. I also tried my hand at reviewing an album, which had mixed results. I am still really proud of myself for doing that, because it was rather out of my comfort zone!
- Get my 1st degree initiation - As it turns out, I was denied initiation and I was released from my coven as of March 24. I'm still regrouping from that and mostly avoiding public rituals for awhile. I'm still proud of myself for completing the work, though.
- Clean out my old room at my parents’ house - I made a big dent when I visited them earlier this year, and found some interesting treasures in the process, like an envelope full of letters from my pen-pals. I still need to tackle the rest of the boxes.
- Get a tattoo
to commemorate finishing my 1st degreeof the mark given to me by Gwynn Ap Nudd - I contacted a tattoo shop recommended by many friends, but failed to follow up on that after the degree kerfluffle. I really need to contact them again to set up an appointment - I've been getting lots of pokes from Gwynn about that.
- Take a real vacation with Jack (even if it’s only a weekend getaway)
- Get a new primary care physician - I've had 2 appointments since July. She's really nice, as are her staff, though they are not all as competent as I would like.
- Get a rheumatologist - I'm hemming and hawing about this one. There wasn't much my last rheumatologist could do, other than prescribe drugs that didn't work and repeat the same old nonsense about exercise. However, my fibromyalgia is getting progressively worse, so I need to do something.
- Get back on migraine meds
- Talk to a doctor about getting on anxiety meds
- Take at least one creative writing class - I looked into creative writing classes at the local community college, but I don't have the energy to take classes on top of a full-time job right now.
- Break into freelance writing and/or editing
- Create a kick-ass writing portfolio
- Get a better, more fulfilling job
- Meet Jack’s parents
- Sell/donate more of my unwanted books, clothes, etc. - Man there was a great deal of purging during the move, including donations.
- Finish my British Columbia scrapbook
- Look into acupuncture - I found out my health insurance covers it now. Score! Now to find an acupuncturist who is in my network.
- Get my college diploma framed
- Visit Gettysburg again
- Visit a museum that I’ve never visited before
- Organize a reunion for high school classmates in the DC area
- Sit down to cross-stitch once a week - Expecting myself to cross-stitch once a week was far too lofty a goal. The last time I picked up a cross-stitch project was in the summer, when I sorted the thread from a new kit. I miss the zen of putting needle and thread to fabric, though.
- Learn a new craft
- Cook Thai-style chicken curry from scratch - I've decided to just let the professionals make it for me, since Thai restaurants are generally not all that expensive. That doesn't change the fact that I want all the curries.
- Get back into yoga
- Learn how to use my new camera to take better photos - My skills are still VERY amateur, but I've been playing around with my camera a lot and I think I'm starting to get a handle on better photo taking.
- Grow my hair long again - I did grow it out to about halfway down my back. But it started looking scraggly and feeling too heavy with negative emotions, so I ended up cutting it a month ago to right below my shoulders. (The Barbed Pentacle has an interesting article about hair and energy/magick - careful, it is NSFW!)
- Learn new hairstyles for said long hair (other than braided or in a ponytail)
- Start an indoor herb garden - I had a kit and planted it earlier this year, but all the plants died a slow, sad death after they sprouted. Maybe I should stick to succulents.
- Go on a photoshoot in the park with Sha-na-na
It was a fun exercise, but I don't think I will do a 31 before 32. 30 goals was a lot, and some were not really feasible or were too "big" for the purposes of the exercise. Maybe next year I will set just 5-10 goals/projects for myself. That seems more reasonable, and it will be more likely that I attain everything I set out to do with my year.